3.25.2013

A New Adventure

This is going to come as a shock to some, exciting to others, and perhaps both to most. And I apologize in advance for the "impersonal" nature of this post - all of you deserved a phone call, but this way I could thoroughly and best explain the situation for a mass audience... And if you have questions, concerns, or complaints... well, sorry, I don't have time for them.

You know, my husband says that I'm really good at planning things and seeing them through to completion. He would also say that I'm probably equally as bad at flying by the seat of my pants and taking life by the horns. Fair enough. Well, today I've had a solid training session in laying aside "plans" and doing what needs to be done...

This morning, around 8:30a, I received a phone call that a my best friend, my college roommate, had been in an accident and was out "my way" in a hospital. It was nonchalant, which led me to believe that things weren't too serious... as my girl, JB, also has family in this direction. After making a couple phone calls, I finally was put through to the SICU waiting room, now nervous for the outcome of my friend's accident. Long story short, she's "fine" - she has, and can move, all limbs and will not have to have surgery... she is, however, healing up 5 broken ribs and a fractured L2 and also suffered the death of her dear left kidney (it's alright, the right one is coping nicely with the additional work). This same gal was contracted to co-lead a 21-day paddling & backpacking expedition with a Brevard College professor as part of the undergraduate Immersion semester for the WLEE (Wilderness Leadership and Experiential Education) program. Clearly, this was no longer an option.

After making a few phone calls and having a spur-of-the-moment, intense conversation with my husband, I've decided to quit my job at Scott's Bicycle Centre and move back to Brevard to sub for JB on the 21-day trip... and stay indefinitely. And this is effective immediately. JB's accident started a domino effect that left no doubt in our minds - Brevard is where we're needed right now. My last morning at Scott's is tomorrow. I head for Brevard on Thursday, and hit the trail on Saturday. No cell service or facebook or email or anything technological for three. whole. weeks. Awesome! I'll be back at the end of April to pack up our apartment and see Andy graduate... (that's when we'll have the see-ya-later party!)

You see, home has always been Brevard for us. When we moved to Chattanooga, we left our hearts in Brevard, and anticipate our return. The last few months have been filled with long, middle-of-the-night conversations about our plans after my husband's grad school graduation in May. And ultimately, we decided that moving back to Brevard is best for our family, as, pure & simple, Chattanooga doesn't offer many options for folks with Andy's Master's degree... and we've gone through too much to waste it. We've really struggled with this decision - my job at Scott's is wonderful. Sure, I haven't always enjoyed the folks I've worked with, and sure, taking inventory and cycle counting really is the bain of my existence, but ultimately I discovered an area of cycling that I'm really, ridiculously passionate about (women & cycling) and I've seen tangible growth in helping women realize that bike shops really aren't all that scary!

Really, it feels like I've finally gotten the train chugging along at a quick clip... and I'm jumping off the train.

Here's the thing: Scott's is the best shop in the Chattanooga area, hands down (and I'm not just saying this because I worked there. I mean, I quit. What do I owe them anymore?!). We visited several when we first moved to town before happening upon the "family" atmosphere that Scott's provides. Would you drive a few extra miles for the best doctor around, the one who really knows you and what you need? Probably. When you love your bikes as much as we do, it's not a big deal to drive a little farther to know you're going to receive great, knowledgeable service with a 24-hour turn-around, no bullshit required.

And the best thing: Scott's will still be this great without me. (Yeah, yeah, I know all you people visited Scott's juuuuuust for me... right.) And there are definitely no hard feelings involved... only a little sad to be jumping off the train.

I'm very, very appreciative of the folks in Chattanooga who really gave me a chance; the folks who let me work for them, volunteer for them, who trusted my knowledge and opinions, who asked me for advice, who gave me advice... Rock/Creek Outfitters, Scott's Bicycle Centre, VeloVixens, SORBA-Chattanooga... and the countless friends I've gathered along the way. If I could take all of you to Brevard with me, I would in a heartbeat, and it'd be the best thing EVER. But alas...

I hope this explains a few things. I certainly never meant to deceive anyone, and don't mean to "let down," sadden, etc. folks. You know you'd do the same thing if it were you. We're leaving a bunch of awesome people and awesome opportunities, and we trust the same are waiting for our return in Brevard. PLUS I'll get to take care of JB while she gets back on her feet.

Brevardians - here we come!

1 comment:

Casey B said...

Very Exciting!!! I hope you two the best! I'm sad, because now that we're finally making our way to TN, ya'll are leaving :( But I'm glad ya'll get to go home and be were you feel you are needed and loved!