1.10.2013

Adventuring to Get Crafty

For years I've been jealous of my friends' abilities to reach into the right side of their brains and come up with ridiculously awesome crafts... and each of them make money off of their artistic hobbies. What a life! Crystal's Etsy Shop (which is currently on hiatus due to moving, getting engaged, buying a home, and all sorts of other important life things... that I still have yet to do, besides the engaged thing... been there done that) was full of all sorts of goodies that she found time to do on road trips and in the evenings. Blaire paints, and mostly has a modestly-priced custom pet portrait line, but is also known to do ornaments, Christmas paintings, and other homey goodies. She's the ultimate animal lover. Perry is super-mom extraordinare! She paints with and on all sorts of mediums, she gardens, she cooks, she takes care of her two beautiful babies & husband... the list is endless. Once I let her borrow my sewing machine & gave her some fabric scraps, and she made a zillion "Perry's Pretty Petals" flower hair clips. Luckily I came out with a few for the sewing machine useage. Love them (and you can find them, and her artwork, on display at Local Color in Brevard, NC)!

Wait a second... did you catch that? I have a sewing machine. I have a sewing machine. Previously, I'd attempted one project (an apron) and failed miserably due to my fabric choices & inability to sew in a straight line and hold a steady pace on the pedal. Yeah, minor flaws. Well Christmas came around this year and I was without my notoriously awesome stocking stuffers. I had previously purchased from Blaire & Perry, but this year I was far, far away and stuffer-less. So, I perused the internet and came across simple sewing projects, including drawer sachets. Seemed easy enough - and alas, it was! I've now made 78 sachets for friends & family, and even made my own aromatic filling! I've started digging on the right side of the brain, and find myself getting more & more excited about arts & crafts. I have a few new projects in the works, and can't wait to share them with you!

Oh, and I've also been cooking. Most recently, I made Baked Oatmeal with Bananas & Pumpkin. Yum! My husband, who likes neither baked oatmeal nor pumpkin, thought it was delicious too. And it's a great power  food for all you athletes out there!



::Edit::
Here are a couple photos of my new project. Any ideas what I could be making?
We have a small house, so I have to use the bed as a fill-in "large flat surface"!
And this is my SMALL sewing desk. It usually does the trick.

Ok, now here's the actual goods. 3 fabrics sewn together... Not much of a clue, I know.

No comments: